Wednesday, June 20, 2007

dash it all

I used to be addicted to brackets. They were my way of throwing in little asides (like this) without interrupting the flow of the sentence.

But I have stowed by stash of brackets at the back of my writer’s tool box and taken up with the – far superior – dash.

I am not sure why this change has occurred - just as I am not sure really how to use a dash correctly. But now I know – and love – the dash.

The thing is my use of dashes is accelerating and soon everything I write will be – like – this – and – not make any – if at all – sense.

3 comments:

  1. You can have my parentheses when you pry them from around my cold (dead) heands.

    And — hey, aren't those actually hyphens you're using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. shoot, now you are just confusing me more.

    Someone told me there are actually three types of horizontal lines used in punctuation. I really should know this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what drives me a little nutty is when people open brackets, write something and then FORGET THEY OPENED THE BRACKETS SO YOU NEVER GET THE )... Happens in the Guardian fairly regularly...

    Bill, to me:"my only point would be that you seem unable to tell the difference between a hyphen and a dash"...

    ReplyDelete